We have seen a cajon played several times at church but after seeing a homemade one up close we decided to take a shot at making our own.
First, we did a lot of research online of different plans and features. There are many videos and blogs with step by step instructions. We also stopped at Guitar Center and looked over the ones they sell.
After landing on what we felt was the best design for us, we bought materials and jumped in with both feet.
One tool we bought was a strap clamp and it has proved to be valuable.
The design isn’t super complicated but there are more parts to it than first appears.
One feature we wanted was an adjustable snare. This is accomplished with a lever system that sticks out from the side of the box. We are working to get all of the pieces made and dry fit them together before we start the construction.
After that we will move to finishing it.